Random Questions about What Makes Art, Art.


With an artist Mom and a creative Dad always pushing and encouraging me to try new things, an early desire arose during my childhood to be creative. I love everything about the self expression and closeness it brings. Most of my childhood art experiences were glorified arts and crafts around my house which ended up accumulating in large piles in my house. These piles resulted in a belief that all of my art was a masterpiece. A few weeks ago I had gone home to find and face these piles. Had I decided or known relatively what art was, maybe I wouldn't have kept every Popsicle stick I had ever painted. Then again it was all really cute and relatively sentimental.

So this got me thinking; what is art?
Does it have a definition?
Is it just creation?
Can it be objective?

Besides numbers, art has essentially been apart history within societies world wide. Even from the beginning of childhood, art has made its way into life activities to preoccupy time and enhance creative thinking alike. But what is it really?

Dictionary.com defines "Art" primarily as, "the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing or of more than ordinary significance."

So what constitutes something as beautiful?
My sister asked me what the most beautiful thing I had seen was once and I kinda freaked out.
How are you supposed to answer that? Isn't beauty in everything?
Anywhere here's my answer to that question.

So if there is beauty in everything than can everything be art? This brought me to look at the second part of the definition... "more than ordinary significance." Which I also found to be a pretty subjective perspective of art. To the person writing these definitions, what is does this mean?

In the end I believe that art is whatever the beholder wants it to be. To me personally art is creation. Creating and making something out of nothing is art. Something with intention, thought, perspective, and a bit of hard work. Something cherished and loved.

So, what else is art? -- Your turn.

No comments